When I started this blog, one of my goals was to push myself to work on more personal projects. While setting things up for the blog I wanted to start tracking things I need to do using Google Tasks but had trouble handling recurrent tasks. Basically: they don’t support recurrent tasks.
That gave me the idea for my first little project: a simple script to handle recurrent tasks. Basically, I want to go for a flow that roughly looks like:
- Build a configuration file to describe the recurrent tasks I want; In there, I’ll describe at least:
- The task, aka name, description, etc.
- The period (every month, every first Monday of the month, etc.) and the deadline;
- Have a script to ensure that the tasks that are currently needed are created (or completed already);
- Run said script in a cron task on my RaspberryPi;
I did try to find a clean way of doing this. Some people do it through recurrent events in their calendar, but I really wanted tasks, not a weird workaround. I know I could use some other tool, but I’m trying to get in touch with Google services and I felt like this was a nice-enough reason to start looking into these.
Once I get the basic flow working, I’ll also be able to piggyback on this small project to do a little something with my GPIO setup or play with an Android App. I’ll see once I get there, there are still quite a few things I want to do before getting to these subjects.
I haven’t even created the GitHub project yet, I’ll do this and the basis of the script this week and update my blog next week!
Do you know of anything that allows recurrent tasks in Google Tasks? Is there anything you’d like in a tool like this?
Thanks for reading!
* Update: more information about the project in a new post: Introducing RTasker basis and vision